We are delighted to let our patients know that we have finished inviting our Group 5 patients (65-69 year olds) for their first COVID vaccination appointment. We will now start to invite our Category 6 patients.
This is a very large cohort with complex eligibility criteria. We will be inviting this group in the coming weeks but this is all dependant on vaccine availability. If you are unable to wait and have got a letter from the NHS to go elsewhere for your vaccination, please feel free to do so.
Below is the criteria for Group 6 as determined by JCVI.
1) Adults aged 16 to 65 years in an at-risk group which includes:
- Chronic respiratory disease (see notes below for asthma)
- Chronic heart disease and vascular disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Chronic neurological disease, including severe or profound learning disability.
- Diabetes mellitus (Any diabetes, including diet-controlled diabetes).
- Asplenia or dysfunction of the spleen
- Morbid obesity BMI >40
- Severe mental illness i.e., those with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, or any mental illness that causes severe functional impairment
2) Younger adults in long-stay in-patient, nursing and residential care settings
3) Adult carers: Those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person, someone who has a severe mental illness or whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill.
Only severe asthmatics are included in Group 6. Severe asthma is defined as those that have had a previous hospital admission for asthma or needed 3 courses if oral steroids in the past 3 months. All other asthmatics will be vaccinated as you become eligible according to your age in the future.
Please bear with us while we work through this group over the coming weeks. Please do not ring the surgery for an appointment unless you have been invited. We will be in touch when it is your turn. As always, we are grateful for your patience and co-operation.
Have a good day and stay safe everyone!